Friday, January 08, 2010

Buggy Cupcakes

Bugging OutOne of the downsides of having a birthday between Christmas and New Year's is that your birthday always falls on a school holiday. Seeing that Molly has a summer birthday, I couldn't quite bear the prospect of NEVER bringing special birthday snacks into school. So, I decided that it was perfectly acceptable to bring Max's belated birthday goodies in to school during the first week of January.

This year, Grandma gave me a neat cupcake book and an awesome cupcake carrier (it holds 27 cupcakes!). I hadn't decided what cupcakes to make for Max's birthday and it was just the inspiration I needed.

Finished!I loved the Creepy Crawlers cupcake idea and, after a little discussion, got Max on board. He originally wanted to make gingerbread man cupcakes, being enamored of all things gingerbread after making cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve. But, he changed his mind and decided that he loved the "buggy cupcakes."

This year the cupcake production was a bit more intense, since Max has twice as many kids in his class (necessitating a double batch of cupcakes). Surprisingly, the bugs were the easiest part of the process -- the cupcakes and frosting decided to be ornery. In spite of the less-than-perfect frosting job, the cupcakes were a big hit -- Max said that nobody was scared of the bugs because, "Mama, they're just cupcakes." Max was happy to report that he ate the orange caterpillar (centipede) and Molly (who scored one of the extra cupcakes) told me ate a "yellow spider with a BIG M&M on its back"!

I'd better start planning for next year!

5 Comments:

At January 08, 2010 9:24 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAX! I had completely forgotten that he & I share a birthday.

How's five treating you guys so far?

 
At January 09, 2010 10:56 AM, Blogger Iotis said...

We're loving five! Max is so very proud of his new "number." On his first day back at school, he ran up to his teacher and said, "Mrs. K -- I'm FIVE!!"

And happy beleated birthday! It sounds like you guys had an incredible trip -- I did a double take when I saw the pic of Miss S in front of the Taj Mahal!!

 
At January 09, 2010 9:22 PM, Blogger margaret e said...

"Mama, they're just cupcakes." Ha ha! Love these M&M stories!

 
At January 10, 2010 8:08 PM, Blogger Dawn Webb said...

what did you use for the legs? wow, you never cease to amaze me iotis :)

 
At June 15, 2013 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm having a tough time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique.
P.S Apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!


Also visit my homepage :: olimpike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home